Sunday 10 January 2010

My first blog post!

Hi everyone!
So, I've been in Edinburgh for 5 days now (yes, I just had to count those days on my hand), but I have this strange combination of feeling like it's been forever since I arrived and feeling like I just stepped off the plane. I think the first feeling is more prominent--I can't believe it was only 5 days ago that I was sitting in the JFK airport, meeting everyone on my group flight for the first time while internally hyperventalating and worrying that I wouldn't make any friends. As i told everyone before I left, all I was praying for was 1 friend...that's it. I figured if I could make 1 friend, I would be ok...I'd be able to conquer the city and freak out about everything WITH someone...which was a lot less scary than thinking about tackling the city by myself. Well, like everyone told me in response to my fears, I did make a friend. In fact, I've made a lot of friends through my program, and they are from all over the US. Surprisingly, there were only 6 guys on my entire program, so the overwhelming majority of my friends are girls from all different schools.
Flying into Edinburgh and going straight into orientation was exhausting to say the least. My study abroad program, IFSA Butler, set up 2 days worth of intense orientation sessions where information about everything you can imagine was thrown at us while all of us were battling jet lag and complete distress over not knowing anyone and living in a completely new city. However, the information they gave us was all super helpful, and I honestly can't imagine coming here without being a part of their program. The students I've met that have enrolled to the University by themselves amaze me. My program set up our housing, oriented us to the program, and allowed me to make friends from the states by the time they sent us out on our own into the city. Ah without the program I would feel completely lost! Thank god for IFSA Butler!!
My first night in Edinburgh, everyone was so completely exhausted that I just stayed in our hotel and watched a movie with a new friend, Carolyn. The second night, however, a group of 7 girls and I went out to an Italian restaurant, had the most incredibly hilarious waiter named Vincenzo tell us all about the city, and then went to our first Scottish pub for drinks! The third night panned out pretty much the same as the 2nd...and then on our 4th day, Saturday, we had to move out of our hotel and into our campus flats! That was the scariest moment of the trip so far. We were basically dropped off on the side of the road, and told to find our flats and move ourselves in. All of the friends I had made at the hotel were separated into different flats, so we didn't know if we were going to keep in touch, or if we were going to lose contact all together. I arrived at my flat after some searching to find it completely empty, which made the experience that much more lonely. Thankfully though, I met up with my girlfriends immediately after unpacking for lunch and room shopping, so that calmed my nerves a lot. Since then, I've just been focussing on unpacking, settling in, and orienting myself with the city.
Edinburgh is the most beautiful city I've ever been in. Every street is lined with amazing architecture, cobblestone roads, and unique pubs, shops, and restaurants. Castles, ancient ruins, and amazing buildings are everywhere you look. I just can't believe I get to walk to class with the Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile as my backdrop. It's incredible!
Oh also, I cooked for myself tonight for the first time since getting here! I'm not on a meal plan here, so all meals will be cooked or taken out from the bazillion restaurants around here. Grocery shopping was super scary and intimidating, but we ended up cooking pasta (I know, easy)...we felt pretty accomplished though. Hopefully we'll be able to continue feeding ourselves for the next 5 months...I'm not so sure though. So that's it for right now...classes start tomorrow (AHHH), so I'll be writing more very soon!

5 comments:

  1. Sara,
    Sounds like you have been very busy! I'm glad you are getting situated in your flat and are making lots of good friends. I can't wait to hear more about Edinburgh and classes and all the fun that I'm sure you will have.

    When it comes to cooking for yourself- I'm sure my Mom will be happy to send you recipes of easy, tasty things to cook if you need it! I'm not on a meal plan this semester either, so I will keep you posted on if I find any handy recipes.

    Have fun!!!!

    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara
    Sounds terrific to me! Your dad gave me your blog. It is a very good idea and a lot of fun to read.
    Continue keeping us posted.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara
    Your grandfather and I had the most wonderful dinner in Edinburgh. I will find out the name of the restaurant and find out if it still exists. If so, I will forward it to you.
    You can go there with someone who is willing to pay for it! It is special
    ly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara-bear - I love keeping tabs on your blog so I can see what you are experiencing. I know I had to live vicariously through Alicia's blog so now I get to do it all over again. I knew you would meet so many new friends and take it all in stride - right after the hyperventilation that we all expect and love about you! I'm so proud. I miss you but I know you are on the adventure of a life time. Go get em, girl! Love Katie/Mom #2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara
    I love the pictures - keep showing more. I'm also looking forward to hearing you write with a Scottish accent soon.
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete