Sunday 17 January 2010

Still obsessed with the city

Hey guys,

It's been a while since my last post...and even though things have been crazy busy and fast paced, I've made a goal to update this blog more often. So, here goes! WOW, this week flew by. I am officially done with my first week of classes at the University of Edinburgh, and getting ready for week 2! (which is assured to feel more like real classes, with our tutorials starting and actual work being assigned now that everyone's classes have been finalized and schedules worked out). I have my Scottish History tutorial tomorrow morning, and already feel like I'm slightly behind on the readings, but we'll see. Cross your fingers that I won't be too lost in class. I still haven't adjusted to the British system of schooling--there is almost no guidance as to what reading you are supposed to do to prepare for classes, or when the reading should be completed by. My time management skills are not great, to say the least, so hopefully I will figure out a good system of organization to keep on top of stuff. There is one thing that I know for sure though, my overall goal for the semester is to absolutely not stress as much as I would at Bowdoin over classes. I'm not abroad to take classes, as much as I am to experience Edinburgh and Europe to its fullest...so that has become my first priority (for good or bad...but I think for good). But, that being said, I'm still very excited for my classes. For my Scottish History Since 1914, my first assignment was to go to the National Museum of Scotland and check out this month's exhibit about today's modern Scotland. Not bad! And taking a Celtic Civ class where most of that history was written is a pretty cool opportunity.

I'm still a little intimidated by the class lectures though. It's tough being an international student coming in mid-year, and I've found that the overwhelming majority of my classes are filled with Scottish students, even with the University's high number of internationals. I'm hoping to meet more people in class, but I think the only way I"ll really get to know locals or at least other University students will be to join their societies. Which is why I'm going to the wine society tomorrow night (!) and the surfing and windsurfing society on Wednesday (!!). I know what you're thinking...surfing? in Scotland?...and Sara doing it??....but I guarantee you, it's going to be awesome! I can't wait to say I learned to surf in Scotland, and have the pictures to prove it!

As for my daily activities since last tuesday, life's been just as crazy since the last time I wrote. Continuing to explore and settle in is exhausting! But, I really can't complain...I wake up every morning and walk to class with a castle behind me. So really, life's not bad at all. Tuesday night we took my friend Nora out for her 21st birthday, and celebrated with margharittas and mexican food (Edinburgh's finest), followed by live music at an Irish pub, Biddy Mulligans. There, we met a group of Irish boys who, once hearing it was Nora's birthday, lined up to give her "traditional Irish birthday kisses"--or at least that's what they told her they were. All and all, not a bad birthday if you ask me. The rest of the week was good...getting used to having a class schedule again was nice, and my friends and I have definitely scoped out good lunch places near campus to hang out in during the day. I've also spent slightly too much time shopping on Princes Street at the Topshop (my new obsession), but I'm hoping the fascination with the new stores will wear off soon so I can stop spending money! Cooking has been going ok...I really just need to get over my fear of the Tesco grocery store, go in there with recipes and a plan, and make myself a real dinner...my nightly PB and J's, while delicious, are getting pretty old pretty fast. Friday night we did all get together and cook a good pasta dinner, so no complaints there, but I would agree that I need to expand my cooking skills if I'm going to survive for the next couple of months.

This weekend, my first full weekend in Edinburgh, was GREAT! My friends and I decided to do the most touristy things to get them out of the way, so on Saturday, we walked up the royal mile (literally a block from where I live) to the Edinburgh Castle and toured around. Luckily, the sun was out for part of the day, so the views of the city were incredible!!! We met a braveheart warrior on our walk up the castle, which added to the whole experience, and bought some beautiful photography from a street vender for only a few pounds. Once in the castle, we were able to see the crown jewels of Scotland, the stone of destiny (where all the rightful Kings sit before they are sworn in), and read all about the history of the city and the country. Having done the tour once before, it was still so exciting to go back and see it all again. A place like the Edinburgh Castle doesn't really get old. After that, I went back to Emily's flat and watched a movie while we started planning our trip to London at the end of January! I can't wait!! Saturday night, three of us went to hang out with some Edinburgh University rugby players, and then met up with the rest of our group later. After such a long day though, we were all exhausted, so we ended the night by getting cheese fries from the chipper (a place that sells fries) that's right across the street from my flat (Zara's). I can see that being a very dangerous place for me on the weekends.

The Royal Mile!! Grandma would have loved it :)
The Braveheart. Sorry it's sideways, it won't rotate!
The group outside of the castle
One of my favorite pictures from the castle
Steeples peaking out of the city
Today, I was planning on spending most of the day in the Elephant House cafe reading for class, but woke up to an absolutely beautiful sunny day, and was convinced to go walk up Arthur's seat instead. I figured you have to take advantage of sunny days here, so about 6 of us headed out to hike up to Edinburgh's highest point, and found the most incredible 360 degree views of the city and the ocean and the surrounding mountains. It's interesting that the city has no skyscrappers, so all you see when you are above the highest buildings are old church steeples jutting up throughout the city. The view of the castle wasn't bad either. Unfortunately, my camera died at the bottom of the mountain, so I don't have pictures just yet...but luckily enough of my friends documented the whole experience, so the day wasn't all a loss. After we got down the mountain, Emily and I headed to the museum to fulfill our homework assignment, and then finally made it to the Elephant House for some work. It's not hard to tell where J.K. Rowling got her inspiration from for Harry Potter. The back room of the cafe overlooks Old Town and the castle. I absolutely love reading there.

A view of Arthur's seat from the castle. We hiked to the top mound!
On another note, all of my friends from Bowdoin are just starting to arrive in their European cities, so I can't wait to hear all about their lives and countries!!! Good luck guys and have so much fun!!! Also, I can't believe Jeremy won Nationals again!! So frustrated that I couldn't watch him skate, as I am an international viewer of NBC, but I heard it was absolutely stunning! Can't wait for the Olympics.

Things I miss about home:
My phone!! and never having to "Top UP" on minutes at home. SO frustrating
My shower....it's really bad here
YOU ALL
That's about it...

Until next time....
xo

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, it sounds awesome! So glad to hear you're having a great time. Keep posted. This is awesome! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine Sara without stress. Everything sounds wonderful. Beware of boys from Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    It sounds like you are having a FABULOUS time! I'm glad you are getting settled into classes- mine start today, so I'm getting ready now. Good luck with the reading in classes- that is different and I'm sure hard to adjust to. Maybe as a cute Scottish boy for some suggestions? :)
    You are making the most of every day and it looks like a gorgeous city that you get to live in! I'm so jealous about you studying in the Elephant House- that is sooooo cool! Good luck with cooking- I made it through day 1 of my own cooking, so I will keep you posted on any exciting recipes.

    Miss you like woah! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpa and I just read your most recent post - each day sounds wonderfully jammed packed with great experiences! You are so fortunate. Continue to enjoy each day - we love living through your vivid writing. Wish we could sit with you at The Elephant House and have a look around too!
    All our love,
    Aunt Patty

    ReplyDelete